1. Take a hike – A weekend morning hike is not only fun for the whole family, but great exercise too! Check out the ocparks.com website to find the nearest hiking trail near you.
2. Shop fresh and local – Check out your city website for a farmer’s market near you. Take the whole family and have your kids pick out their favorite fruits or vegetables. Make a salad or dessert using their favorite picks!
3. Go apple pickin’– Enjoy a day of fun at any of a handful of apple farms nearby – most are about an hour and a half away – where you can get back to basics and pick apples, enjoy lunch outdoors, and take in the fall scenery. Check online for the nearest apple farm near you.
4. Get into the Halloween spirit – There are many local Halloween festivities happening in the next few weeks, including parades, haunted houses, festivals and more. For info, visit the Anaheim Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau website.
5. Visit a pumpkin patch – Many include train rides, carnival games, treats and more, which the kids are sure to enjoy.
6. Create holiday cards with your little ones – Plan for the holidays early. Help your kids create homemade cards or crafts for loved ones. The weather is a great time for outside family photos, too, that can easily be included in your holiday cards.
7. Host movie night – Back-to-school expenses may have you cutting back on family outings this month. Instead of going out, host a movie night or board game night with your friends and family. Have everyone bring their favorite treat to share!
8. Unbusy yourself – Before the busy holiday season arrives, take time to do things with your family that you may not get a chance to in the coming months – read a book to your kids, have a family picnic while the weather is still nice, go on a bike ride or walk.