- Provide your kids with the appropriate back-to-school supplies. (Check your local school for recommendations.)
- Go over the ground rules for homework, including when and where studying needs to be done.
- Make sure kids are doing homework in a quiet place, free of distractions.
- Encourage your kids to turn off the cell phones or limit the texting during study time. The same applies for social media activities.
- Don’t take over school work or projects for your children. Instead, make yourself available to answer questions.
- Review homework assignments weekly or nightly, as appropriate, to ensure your children understand everything and are tracking on due dates.
- Encourage your kids to develop good habits, including listening in class, taking notes and asking questions.
- Maintain an open channel of communications with your child’s teacher throughout the school year.
Whether it’s the first day of school, or the last, make sure your kids know they can always come to you for homework help or for any other issue or concern.
What tips do you have for getting back into the scholastic swing of things?