Get the teens in your life moving this holiday season and in the New Year by giving them fun, active gifts. CHOC pediatricians remind parents – and teen patients – that physical activity is good for the body and mind! Here are a few gift ideas to encourage the adolescents in your life to avoid too much time on the couch:
• Introduce a new activity, like tennis, with a gift certificate for a one-on-one lesson.
• Outfit your teens with athletic wear to provide additional inspiration. If your tastes for style differ, how about a gift card to a local athletic store?
• Consider giving sports equipment, like racquets, balls or bikes, versus a video game about the sport.
• If your teen is hooked on video games, look for active ones, like Wii Sports for the Nintendo Wii and EyeToy: Kinetic for PlayStation 2.
• Give the adolescents on your holiday shopping list gift certificates to a local bowling alley, ice skating ring or yoga studio.
Getting teens to be active can be a challenge at times; hopefully, selecting the right gift this holiday season can encourage them to “get moving.”