The brain is an important organ that controls every process that regulates our body! In recognition of Brain Awareness Week coming up, March 12-18, check out these fascinating facts about the brain you didn’t know. Share them with your kids and family!1. The biggest part of the brain is the cerebrum, which makes up 85% of the brain’s weight. The cerebrum is the thinking part of the brain and it controls your voluntary muscles.
2. Your brain has two hemispheres – left for analytical thoughts and right for creative thoughts.
3. 70,000 is the number of thoughts estimated that the human brain produces on an average day.
4. Your brain has 100,000 miles worth of blood vessels – enough to circle Earth approximately four times.
5. Your brain has 100 billion neurons – cells known as the gray matter which process information.
6. The human brain is about 75% water.
7. Foods that keep your brain healthy include: fish, blueberries, nuts & seeds, green vegetables such as broccoli and brussel sprouts.
8. Your brain consumes about 25 watts of power while you’re awake – enough energy to illuminate a lightbulb!
9. An adult human brain weighs around 3 pounds.
10. More electrical impulses are generated in one day by a single human brain than by all the telephones in the world.
To learn more about the brain, check out CHOC’s health library:
- Life was proceeding right on schedule for self-described “drama kid” Genevieve Masson. The 16-year-old, who goes by “Geni,” went to class, hung out with friends and spent time rehearsing musical ...
- Every morning when she awakes, Sydney Amato begins her daily battle with her body. If she’s lucky, the 16-year-old will have gotten a handful of hours of uninterrupted sleep – dreaming, ...
- CHOC is one of a select number of pediatric facilities nationwide to have been ranked today as a best children’s hospital by U.S. News & World Report. The following CHOC specialties ...