carbon monoxide in the home

Carbon Monoxide in the Home: What Parents Should Know

Parents understand the importance of having working smoke detectors in the home to protect their family in case of fire, but sometime carbon monoxide detectors fly under the radar, says Amy Frias, a community educator at CHOC Children’s and coordinator of Safe Kids Orange County.

Carbon monoxide is a gas you cannot see, taste or smell, and it can be extremely dangerous to children when they’re exposed to unhealthy levels.

Fuel-powered devices that aren’t properly functioning can emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide into the home with no warning unless you have a working carbon monoxide detector, says Frias. Faulty furnaces or heaters, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in the garage, can all result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

It’s important for parents to know what can create high levels of carbon dioxide in the home and avoid these activities, says Frias.

  • Don’t use a grill indoors
  • Don’t leave a car running in the garage even if the doors are open
  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home
  • Ensure vents (stove, furnace, fireplace, stove) are free or debris
  • Store gasoline properly: keep it in a locked location away from children and living spaces, in a well-ventilated area away from any heat sources.

Children process carbon monoxide differently than adults and can experience harsher side effects. Early symptoms include headache, nausea and vomiting. Each year, carbon monoxide exposure results in 15,000 emergency department visits, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Frias offers tips on how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home:

  • Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector. Install one on every level of your home, particularly in bedrooms, and keep them 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
  • Remember that carbon monoxide detectors are not a substitute for smoke detectors.
  • Detectors only detect high levels of carbon monoxide when they are properly functioning. Check the batteries often and replace the unit every five to seven years depending on manufacturer’s recommendations.
  • Ensure alarms are linked throughout the home so when one sounds, they all sound.

If you experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, or your alarm detects a hazardous level, leave the area immediately and get fresh air, and call 911.

Related posts:

  • Are Laundry Packets Really That Dangerous?
    Toddlers are suffering eye burns as a result of coming into contact with laundry packets. Learn what parents need to know about this hidden household danger.
  • Home Safety Tips for the Whole Family
    Kids have more freedom as they get older, which teaches them independence and nurtures their curiosity, but they can often overestimate what they’re capable of doing. Most injuries for kids ...
  • Keeping Infants and Toddlers Safe in the Home
    Children under the age of 5 are at the greatest risk for getting injured at home, says CHOC Children’s community educator Amy Frias.  Of course, the biggest reason is that’s ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *