February is national heart month, so I thought there was no better time than now to visit my friends at CHOC Children’s Heart Institute.
So much has changed in the field of pediatric cardiology since I first visited CHOC in 1964. From diagnosis to treatment, the Institute today cares for children of all ages with a spectrum of cardiac conditions. The Institute offers a host of services, ranging from surgery to cardiac catheterization to interventional cardiology.
The Institute also offers expert diagnostics for diagnosing complicated heart issues – the first step in helping a child feel better. Here’s just a snapshot of CHOC’s many diagnostic offerings:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG), Holter monitoring and cardiac event monitor recording
- Pediatric ergometer and treadmill stress-testing
- Fetal echocardiography and prenatal cardiac diagnosis
- 2D and 3D real-time resting, stress and sedated echocardiography
- 1.5T and 3.0T magnetic resonance (MRI) and CT angiography with 3-D image reconstruction
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and therapeutic cardiac catheterization in state-of-the-art catheterization laboratories
I love CHOC heart patients, and I’m so grateful for the cardiologists, nurses and other staff who help care for them. How has CHOC helped your heart — besides filling it with joy? Let me know on social media by using the hashtag #thxCHOC.
The CHOC Children’s Heart Institute offers state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment for an entire spectrum of cardiac conditions all in one convenient, family friendly location. Moreover, it is the only pediatric-dedicated facility in Southern California offering the latest in advanced cardiac care, and is the only regional facility to perform neonatal and pediatric open heart surgery. CHOC has assembled a multi-disciplinary team, specially trained in the management of infants and children with congenital heart defects.