The holiday season is in full swing and the CHOC Children’s Endocrine and Diabetes Center in Newport Beach reminds families to stay healthy!
The holidays expose families to:
- more “treats”
- more calories, carbs & fat
- larger portions
- less opportunity for exercise
Avoid excess weight gain by following these simple holiday tips:
- Try to stay on your regular diet most of the time.
- Limit portions of “high fat and high carbohydrate” holiday foods: try a small slice of pie, ½ cup of mashed potatoes and gravy, 1-2 Christmas cookies, or ½ cup of Egg Nog.
- Eat more vegetables with meals and as snacks so you will eat less of the unhealthy” foods.
- Take your own low fat & low carbohydrate dishes to family meals.
- Avoid giving homemade goodies as holiday gifts to keep from excess sampling while baking.
- Exercise more: try to have at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day during the holidays.
To learn more about the CHOC Children’s Endocrine & Diabetes Center or to schedule an appointment, please call (949) 631-2062.