October is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month, but parents should remember two things year-round to keep babies safe during sleep: babies should sleep alone and on their backs, a CHOC Children’s community educator tells CHOC Radio.
In podcast No. 36, Amy Frias outlines tips for parents to ensure their child stays safe while sleeping:
- How to create a safe sleeping environment
- What to do if the baby rolls onto their tummy
Printable tip sheets with information to keep children safe while sleeping are also available on CHOC’s website.
CHOC Radio theme music by Pat Jacobs.
- Summer temperatures and an increase of rain can mean increased snake encounters in Orange County. Brush up on snakebites first-aid tips.
- Potential health effects of wildfires, and steps to minimize their effects and protect children.
- Nursemaid’s elbow is one of the most common injuries in small children, and it can happen during the most innocent activities, like playing tug-of-war.