– 2 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 teaspoon curry powder
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 tablespoon olive or almond oil
– 2 cups toasted whole natural almonds
– ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
– 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), or to taste
Combine chili powder, curry powder, garlic powder and oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Heat until hot and bubbly. Stir in almonds, tossing until almonds are evenly coated and heated through, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in pepper sauce and red pepper. Allow to cool fully before serving. Servings: 8
– 6 six-inch whole-grain pita breads
– Olive oil cooking spray
– ¾ tsp garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut each pita bread in half, then each half into 4 triangles. Separate each triangle into 2 pieces. (There should be 16 small triangles per pita bread.)Arrange triangles in a single layer on two baking sheets. Lightly coat triangles with cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoning powder. Gentle toss and rearrange to cover baking sheet.
Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and using a spatula, gently turn pitas over and continue to bake until crisp and golden brown, about 8 minutes longer. Chips will get crispy as they cool. Store in self-sealing plastic bags. Add a bowl of your favorit dip, salsa or hummus! Serves: 12 (one serving = 8 triangles)
– 2 cups frozen edamame, thawed
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1-2 teaspoons oil
– A pinch each of salt and pepper
Or, try making your own Train Mix!
Just toss together some whole grain cereal (such as whole grain Chex), a bowl of peanuts and almonds, and a bowl of dried apricots or your kids’ favorite dried fruits, for your very own trail mix that your entire family will love!
Other healthy snacks your family will enjoy – especially your little ones – are: Veggie sticks with low-fat ranch dip or hummus, air-popped popcorn, or rice cakes with peanut butter. Enjoy!
- Explore the health benefits of oatmeal, and fun ways to prepare it as a way to mix up the breakfast options you’re offering to your family.
- Healthy Thanksgiving recipe ideas from a clinical dietitian at CHOC Children’s.
- Meal and snack ideas for outdoor summer fun, plus tips for keeping food and drinks at safe temperatures.