With many Orange County kids on Spring Break this week, and with summer plans on the horizon, taking a road trip may be a fun way to travel this season. As many parents know, this can also make for antsy passengers! Here are a few tips to keep your crew safe – and content – on the road:
Before You Leave
- Prepare a first aid kit that contains antacids, throat lozenges, antiseptic cream, bandages, antibacterial wipes, insect repellant, sunscreen and aloe gel for sunburns. Bring an adequate supply of any prescription medications family members regularly take.
- Stock up on plenty of nutritious snacks and drinks to supplement meal stops. Be sure to include water. Keeping your passengers hydrated will help them avoid fatigue and light-headedness.
- Bring a “fun bag” stuffed with favorite books, games, and other items your kids enjoy.
- Make sure your car is running well to avoid any roadside emergencies. Have your car checked for necessary repairs and, if necessary, have it serviced before leaving. Pack an emergency kit and equipment for changing a tire.
On the Road
- Make sure everyone’s buckled up, with babies and children in appropriate car seats in the back.
- Take breaks at least every two hours.
- When not driving, get exercise and eat well.
- Remain calm while driving and steer clear of aggressive drivers on the road.
Do you have any family road trip or travel tips? Post a comment and share!