January is Blood Donor Awareness Month. The Blood & Donor Services program at CHOC Children’s provides comprehensive blood therapy for children. This ranges from blood donor collection services to therapeutic procedures. The program offers designated donor and autologous donor programs for both blood and platelet products to support children undergoing surgery, cancer treatment, and various other conditions.
CHOC relies on volunteer blood donors like you, your friends and co-workers to meet these needs. Donating blood is a safe and easy process, and all blood types are needed.Volunteers who donate can leave knowing they will have a direct impact on the recovery of a child.
Check out these interesting facts from the American Red Cross:
- 1 pint of blood can help save up to 3 lives.
- Adults have around 10 pints of blood in their body. 1 pint is given during a donation.
- Blood cannot be manufactured; it can only come from volunteer donors.
- 5 million patients in the U.S. need blood every year.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs a blood transfusion.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
- There are four types of transfusable products that can be derived from blood: red cells, platelets, plasma and cryoprecipitate. Typically, two or three of these are produced from a pint of donated whole blood.
- Platelets, critical for cancer patients, have a shelf life of about 5 days.
To donate blood to CHOC patients, please call 714-509-8339. For more information, please visit http://www.choc.org/programs-services/blood-donor-services.
- “A clotting disorder can mean that your blood doesn’t clot enough, or it may clot too much. Both can cause medical emergencies. Too much clotting in a blood vessel in ...
- Much has changed in the ways of treating hemophilia – an inherited bleeding disorder in which a patient’s blood does not clot properly – and even more changes are on ...
- An important part of the CHOC Children’s family is Blood and Donor Services, the department that helps collect blood products for our patients. Did you know that one pint of blood ...