March is National Nutrition Month – a great opportunity to get your family to focus on making informed food choices and developing sound physicial activity habits. CHOC Children’s recommends these simple, everyday tips to get your family to start thinking about healthier choices:
- Cut out snacks with little nutritional value, like potato chips, cookies or candy.
- Offer whole-grain crackers, low-fat cheese, yogurt, fruits and vegetables.
- Limit soda and sugary fruit drinks. Try skim milk or water instead.
- Serve fruit as a dessert.
- Encourage your kids to get outside and play.
- Walk with your family instead of driving to visit friends or run errands in the neighborhood.
- Try working in the garden together or going for a bike ride.
For more nutrition tips from the experts at CHOC, check out this article: http://www.choc.org/publications/articles.cfm?id=P00303&aid=385