• Make sure your child keeps hydrated.
• Have your child wear the proper gear for their sport.
• Don’t forget the sunscreen.
• Ensure that your child warms up before the game.
• Remind your son or daughter to treat other athletes and coaches with respect.
• Encourage good sportsmanship; emphasize learning and being part of a team are more important than winning.
• Check with coaches to make sure the team/program has emergency protocols in place.
• Most importantly, remind them to have fun!
For more sports safety guidelines, please click here: http://www.choc.org/healthlibrary/topic.cfm?pageid=P02994.
To learn about the CHOC Children’s Sports Medicine Program, which offers young athletes unrivaled services for their sports-related injuries, click here: http://www.choc.org/orthopaedics/index.cfm?id=P00184 .