Each year in the United States, more than 10,000 people suffer eye injuries and burns from consumer fireworks. For a safer alternative, please consider taking your family to a professional fireworks show this Thursday.
If consumer fireworks are part of your family’s Fourth of July tradition, please remember to supervise your children carefully and keep the following safety tips in mind. As a reminder, only nine cities in Orange County allow the use of consumer fireworks. These include: Costa Mesa, Fullerton, Buena Park, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Santa Ana, Stanton, Villa Park and Westminster.
• Buy only State Fire Marshall-approved (“Safe and Sane”) Fireworks, from a licensed firework stand.
• Fireworks are not toys and should be handled by adults only.
• Parents are liable for any damage or injuries caused by their children using fireworks.
• Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of a fire or other mishap.
• Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.
• Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks. Spectators should also keep a safe distance from the shooter and fireworks.
• Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
• Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
• Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
• Do not try to alter fireworks or combine them.
• Point fireworks away from homes and cars, and keep away from brush, leaves, dry grass and flammable materials.
• Obey local laws. Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
For a list of public fireworks shows in Orange County please visit the Orange County Fire Authority website at http://www.ocfa.org/.
- With temperatures expected to reach the 90s this Labor Day weekend, please ensure your family stays cool and hydrated to avoid the risk of heat related illness. Check out the ...
- If consumer fireworks are part of your family’s Fourth of July festivities this weekend, be sure to supervise your little ones carefully. According to the Orange County Fire Authority, children ...
- Summer is in full swing, and it’s all about safety this season, whether your family is enjoying a fun day at the beach, or a barbecue in your backyard! Check out ...