‘Tis the season to be jolly! To keep your holidays festive – and safe – this year, CHOC Children’s recommends these simple precautions to enjoy a magical season with your children:
- Wash hands before, during and after food preparation.
- Keep baking ingredients such as vanilla and almond extract out of your children’s reach.
- Use soap, water and a paper towel to clean surfaces that have touched raw meat, fish or poultry.
- Keep alcoholic beverages and containers out of your children’s reach.
- Watch for holly and mistletoe berries that could fall into your child’s path — they are poisonous.
Christmas Trees and Decorations
- If your family purchases a real tree, make sure to check the tree’s freshness. Keep it away from fireplaces or other heating sources.
- Turn off the tree lights before leaving the tree in an unattended room.
- Keep small ornaments and tinsel out of reach. Avoid ornaments that look like food or candy.
- Keep burning candles, matches and lighters out of your children’s reach.
- Once gifts are opened, remove all bags, gift wraps and bows from tree and fireplace areas. These items can pose suffocation, a choking or fire hazard, to small children.
- Inspect lights for exposed or frayed cords.
- Select age-appropriate toys. Keep in mind the child’s abilities and developmental stage. Avoid those with small, removable parts that may pose a choking risk for young children.
- When buying bicycles, scooters, skateboards or skates, remember to include helmets and appropriate protective equipment.
- Be aware of recalls on toys, furniture and jewelry.
The holidays are an enjoyable time of the year for most families; hopefully, with these easy-to-follow tips, your family can enjoy a truly memorable season.