By Andrea Flinn, registered nurse, medical/surgical unit, and graduate of CHOC Children’s RN Residency in Pediatrics program
The RN Residency Program at CHOC Children’s taught me more than I had ever imagined. The magnitude of my learning experience has made it nearly impossible to pinpoint one standout or breakthrough moment. However, reflecting upon my journey, one of my greatest takeaways is the fact that the smallest moments create the greatest impact. Here are a few of my favorites.
- I have learned to really focus when playing your patient in Connect Four so they do not beat you in less than five moves.
- I have learned that letting a parent help take their three-year-old’s temperature often times goes much smoother than when you try to do it yourself.
- I have learned that the playroom and its volunteers are some of my greatest resources.
- I have learned that bedazzling your five-year-old patient’s oxygen mask is not only awesome but will lead to them wanting to take it home.
- I have learned to love education printouts for our patients and their families.
- I have learned that taking the time to explain as much as you can to patients and parents goes a long way.
- I have learned that receiving a drawing from a patient can turn your whole day around.
- I have learned that crying is okay because sometimes your patient’s family just needs someone to cry with them.
- I have learned to treasure each smile shared.
- I have learned that fellow nurses are truly the best support system.
- I have learned how the value of family greatly impacts our patient care experiences.
- Most importantly, I have learned that each child is special and what we do here as pediatric nurses is much more than a job; it’s a blessing.
- By Lisa Turni, surgical unit nurse manager, CHOC Children’s I’ve been a nurse for 18 years, but the seeds of my career were planted long before I put on my first ...
- In observance of Mental Health Month, follow along for a day in the life of Madeline, a clinical nurse in CHOC’s Mental Health Inpatient Center.
- A NICU nurse shares that while she learned a lot from nursing school, nothing compares to what she’s learned from the CHOC Children’s RN Residency Program and her patients.